Superfoods that Boost Your Immunity Against COVID-19
Covid-19, known popularly as the novel coronavirus has today become a pandemic owing to its fast-spreading nature. Data has also shown that the virus is largely affecting those with low immunity or underlying medical conditions, making their lungs susceptible to incurable pneumonia. It is therefore necessary to concentrate on boosting immunity apart from the general washing and sanitising of your hands.
The main reason to consume food has always been for its health benefits and nutrients, even before its taste. At this crucial time, focusing on this aspect is even more important. Hence, loading up on the benefits that various ingredients provide is a prerequisite. Consuming superfoods that improve your immune system and makes it strong enough to fight the deadliest of viruses is a must right now. Given below is a list of constituents that offer the best protections against illnesses.
Apart from the fact that ginger can enhance the flavour in any of your recipes, from soups to desserts, it has several medicinal properties. It is antimicrobial which basically means that it can easily fight off pathogens that make you sick. Other than this, it helps reduce inflammation, relieve pain and also prevents diseases as dangerous as cancer. Owing to all these health advantages, stocking up on this root can help boost immunity to the level where the potency of coronavirus decreases.
Garlic doesn’t just add a kick to your otherwise bland food but also has a very high nutritional content. Just like ginger, it is anti-inflammatory. In addition, it is good for people who suffer from high or low blood pressure, heart issues, cancers and more. It also helps bring cholesterol in control and provides extra protections against flu while its antibacterial and antiviral properties make your immune system stronger.
Onions are one of the most common kitchen ingredients. However, not only do they improve the taste of a dish, they are known to possess miraculous health benefits. A great source of iron, these antioxidants help bring blood sugar level within control and reduce cholesterol. They are also commonly used to treat viral fevers and cold. Apart from this, onions are great for your heart and help make it stronger. All the above advantages show that these vegetables are great for improved immunity against Convid-19.
4. Leafy Vegetables (Spinach, Cauliflower, Coriander and Cabbage)
Every person has been advised to consume green leafy vegetables from a very young age. This applies to everyone more than ever now. Some vegetables like spinach, cauliflower and green cabbage are already a part of world famous superfoods owing to their abundance of nutrients including vitamins K, C, B2 and A as well as iron, magnesium and such. Spinach is packed with antioxidants while cauliflower helps fight off infections. Cabbage, on the other hand, prevents cancers as well as tumours and helps kill viruses and bacteria. All of these thereby better your immune system, forming a protective layer against coronavirus.
Food is incomplete without infusion of spices. Some of these that have the best nutritional content are as below.
- Turmeric: There is no other spice that is as beneficial as the golden spice, Turmeric. It has anti inflationary properties, healing properties and more. Other than this, it is known to improve the body’s ability to fight diseases.
- Black Pepper: Black pepper is antibacterial and non-inflationary. It is also known to cure intestinal infections. Putting this spice in your food enhances its flavour and makes you less susceptible to diseases.
- Cinnamon: The use of cinnamon is not limited to inducing sweetness and nuttiness. It prevents diabetes and relaxes the mind and body. Other than this, its antioxidant nature helps provide high immunity.
- Clove: The use of cinnamon is not limited to inducing sweetness and nuttiness. It prevents diabetes and relaxes the mind and body. Other than this, its antioxidant nature helps provide high immunity.
- Liquorice: The sweet root or liquorice is loaded with anti-inflammatory benefits. It also provides respite from respiratory problems.
- Nutmeg: Similar to liquorice, nutmeg also helps treat respiratory diseases. Since Convid-19 is one, this spice can provide the needed resistance.
- Saffron: Promoting white blood cell production and providing a high dose of necessary vitamins and minerals, adding saffron to your meals can better immunity.
- Cardamom: Cardamom has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that prevents infections, thus boosting the immune system.
- Green Chillies: Green chillies boost your metabolism and lower body temperature. They are highly recommended as spices that improve one’s immunity.
The above mentioned spices can be added in food or drinks for better prevention against coronavirus.
Apart from spices, certain herbs also help with boosting immunity against harmful viruses. These are as follows:
- Carom seeds: Carom seeds are a laxative and an anti-inflammatory agent. These help in digestion and help cure a cold, accordingly increasing immunity.
- Fenugreek: Fenugreek has been used as a means to cure diabetes for a long time. Besides this, it helps better metabolism. All these make it a herb that helps promote health and wellness.
- Tulsi: Tulsi is an Ayurvedic herb that has uncountable benefits. It detoxifies one’s body and helps fight against several ailments.
- Curry Leaves: Curry leaves possess antibacterial and antioxidant properties that helps get rid of cell-damaging agents and keeps contagions at bay.
These herbs when added to your meal make it wholesome and preventive.
7. Vitamin C Rich Foods
Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons, papaya, kakadu plum, guavas and more as well as vegetables such as peppers, broccoli, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, sweet and white potatoes and so on are all rich in Vitamin C. These help produce white blood cells and infuse antiviral properties in the body. It thereafter uplifts immunity.
8. Curd (Yogurt)
Loaded with a plethora of vitamins, calcium as well as proteins, yogurt or curd helps ward off diseases. This along with its anti-inflation characteristics makes you less susceptible to viruses such as Convid-19.
Ghee or clarified butter is largely used on Indian breads or in Indian mains. It is that one superfood that increases the body’s ability to absorb essential nutrients. This affects your immunity positively and protects from viruses.
All the above ingredients stimulate a healthy diet during this hour of emergency. They make you less vulnerable and augment your precautionary potential. Moreover, one important thing to note is that most of these are used in the preparation of indian food, the benefits of which can be proved through the fact that India has a limited number of casualties and controlled number of cases so far.
Looking for Indian restaurants in Melbourne in order to enrich your body and build necessary immunity against Covid-19? Lala’s Kitchen is the best Indian restaurant that provides a variety of vegetarian recipes. Order online from us now while you perform some much-needed social distancing.